HomeProfessional Books

Fountas and Pinnell professional books including the Comprehensive Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study Guide, and Literacy Beginnings.

Guiding Readers and Writers in 3-6 Messages in this topic - RSS

ek4literacy
ek4literacy
Posts: 1


9/2/2016
ek4literacy
ek4literacy
Posts: 1
Hello! Is there a second edition of Guiding Readers and Writers Grades 3-6, or will there be one coming out any time soon?
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 254


9/4/2016
The newest edition of Guided Reading is now available and covers the guided reading process across the grades. It is a great resource and provides valuable information to assist all teachers as they differentiate instruction.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
sca1een
sca1een
Posts: 1


9/15/2016
sca1een
sca1een
Posts: 1
hey there..just wondering if there is a similar book but for college students..I've been teaching creative writing for quite some time but I just don't understand whether my class is boring or my students just don't care about creative writing (recently by chance I found out some of them used buy book report services or whatever - for completing a writing assignment..that was really frustrating..especially when you know these are college students not high school, they know why they are in college but why they don't care about studying..or probably they hate my class..actually why even sign up for it??) anyways anything that can help me with finding out how to motivate my students??
edited by sca1een on 10/6/2016
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 254


9/17/2016
As you indicated by your post, the focus on this Discussion Board is devoted to younger readers and writers. There is a great section in When Readers Struggle by Fountas and Pinnell that is entitled: 'Engaging Readers' Emotion and Motivation in Successful Learning'. Since this text is written for teachers working with primary students, there must be similar articles, journals or educational publications that also address this issue for higher education instructors. Perhaps try discussing this issue with your fellow colleagues who also are working with these same or similar level students.

We wish you the best.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
Linda Merrill
Linda Merrill
Posts: 1


10/6/2016
Linda Merrill
Linda Merrill
Posts: 1
sca1een wrote:
hey there..just wondering if there is a similar book but for college students..I've been teaching creative writing for quite some time but I just don't understand whether my class is boring or my students just don't care about creative writing (recently by chance I found out some of them used buy book report services or whatever - for completing a writing assignment..that was really frustrating..especially when you know these are college students not high school, they know why they are in college but why they don't care about studying..or probably they hate my class..actually why even sign up for it??) anyways anything that can help me with finding out how to motivate my students??

Hi,

I can recommend you to read these books.

Motivating Students to Learn by Jere Brophy
and
Helping Students Motivate Themselves: Practical Answers to Classroom Challenges by Larry Ferlazzo
edited by Linda Merrill on 10/6/2016
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Posts: 142


10/6/2016
Linda Merrill wrote:
sca1een wrote:
hey there..just wondering if there is a similar book but for college students..I've been teaching creative writing for quite some time but I just don't understand whether my class is boring or my students just don't care about creative writing (recently by chance I found out some of them used buy book report services or whatever - for completing a writing assignment..that was really frustrating..especially when you know these are college students not high school, they know why they are in college but why they don't care about studying..or probably they hate my class..actually why even sign up for it??) anyways anything that can help me with finding out how to motivate my students??

Hi,

I can recommend you to read these books.

Motivating Students to Learn by Jere Brophy
and
Helping Students Motivate Themselves: Practical Answers to Classroom Challenges by Larry Ferlazzo
edited by Linda Merrill on 10/6/2016


How are you teaching the class? Just like teaching younger aged students they need to write about what they care about. Use the process of writing but allow the students to select the topic and form. You are there to hold writing conferences to help them improve. Is it possible to set up your class as a writing workshop?
This might be a good post for the Facebook Community so you can get more ideas from a larger audience!
Debbie
0 link
Maura C.
Maura C.
Posts: 3


1/24/2017
Maura C.
Maura C.
Posts: 3
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
The newest edition of Guided Reading is now available and covers the guided reading process across the grades. It is a great resource and provides valuable information to assist all teachers as they differentiate instruction.

Thanks!
0 link





Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software