HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

Query: Overlearned reading behaviour errors Messages in this topic - RSS

Cathy1
Cathy1

11/29/2016
Cathy1
Cathy1
A year one student has learned that past tense verbs often have 'ed' added to the end of them. During his BAS running record, whenever he came to a past tense verb, he always added 'ed' to it, whether it was a regular or irregular verb. Do all of the words that he has added 'ed' to, become errors? There were many verbs in the text (fiction) that he added the 'ed' to. His accuracy percentage therefore came out at <90% but his comprehension was 6/7. When I tested him on higher levels, his accuracy percentages still came out lower than expected, but his comprehension was always at the excellent standard.
Query is: Do I count these 'ed' errors on verbs that he is constantly speaking, as errors?
My gut feeling as a very experienced teacher and reading recovery teacher, is to NOT count them as errors, but instead, find the level of text whereby the comprehension level shows he will be instructional at, and then individually teach this student how to read all the way through words, especially the endings of words, plus regular and irregular verbs, so that he understands why and where the 'ed' needs to be read.
Some advice on this will be gratefully appreciated and accepted
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11/29/2016
Cathy1 wrote:
A year one student has learned that past tense verbs often have 'ed' added to the end of them. During his BAS running record, whenever he came to a past tense verb, he always added 'ed' to it, whether it was a regular or irregular verb. Do all of the words that he has added 'ed' to, become errors? There were many verbs in the text (fiction) that he added the 'ed' to. His accuracy percentage therefore came out at <90% but his comprehension was 6/7. When I tested him on higher levels, his accuracy percentages still came out lower than expected, but his comprehension was always at the excellent standard.
Query is: Do I count these 'ed' errors on verbs that he is constantly speaking, as errors?
My gut feeling as a very experienced teacher and reading recovery teacher, is to NOT count them as errors, but instead, find the level of text whereby the comprehension level shows he will be instructional at, and then individually teach this student how to read all the way through words, especially the endings of words, plus regular and irregular verbs, so that he understands why and where the 'ed' needs to be read.
Some advice on this will be gratefully appreciated and accepted

Good thinking but keep going! Remember the assessment is just that, an assessment and you must follow the standards for coding and scoring. That means each incorrectly added 'ed' is an error. However the most important part of the assessment is the analysis, looking for patterns of behaviors and responding to texts. That is why the section in the BAS Guide called "Looking Beyond the Numbers" is so important. You are able to use your analysis to help determine the placement level. Use the Continuum to find the level where you think this student will be able to read successfully with fluency and comprehension knowing that you will teach a lesson in word work to help untangle the confusion about adding 'ed' to verbs. In the classroom the teacher might read aloud books that use regular and irregular verbs so the student continues to "hear the language" that will support his own monitoring when reading. I'm sure you can continue this line of thinking!
I often make notes about the patterns of errors noticed to help explain why I may place a student in a group at a higher level when the numbers look "worse." I sometimes use the categories from the Phonics Continuum as a way to sort errors. There is a form to do this kind of analysis in the Appendix of the study guide for the Continuum found under the Resource Library. This analysis guides decisions for word work after guided reading and for deciding on lessons for the whole class.
I hope this helps provide more food for thought on this topic!
Debbie
0 link