HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

Errors Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser26430
FPUser26430

12 days ago
FPUser26430
FPUser26430
Is it considered an error when a student reads backwards while pointing at the words? I had two students who did this reading a level C book. Each pointed to the word, reading backward. For example: Mom said. The child points to said and says "said." Then she points to Mom and says "Mom."
edited by FPUser26430 on 1/10/2017
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11 days ago
FPUser26430 wrote:
Is it considered an error when a student reads backwards while pointing at the words? I had two students who did this reading a level C book. Each pointed to the word, reading backward. For example: Mom said. The child points to said and says "said." Then she points to Mom and says "Mom."
edited by FPUser26430 on 1/10/2017

According to the Conventions if the child points to the word and reads it correctly it is not an error. This would be an error in ELC-Directional movement which guides the teacher in setting priorities for instruction. The directional movement should be under better control by level C as explained in the Guided Reading Continuum for Level C. "Readers smoothly and automatically move left to right..." They should also be able to notice (self monitor) when the language structure of the book is different from their own language; "show evidence of close attention to print, use language structure to self-monitor and self-correct. For solving words Mom is a High Frequency word that is recognized and read quickly and easily but is not monitored in locating it embedded in the text.

So as you can see the scoring is not the most important part of noting the behavior! This behavior gives you evidence of the kind of teaching that needs to take place -soon. It is your decision as to whether this will be taught in Shared Reading with the whole class or retaught/supported with the small group. I anticipate your next question will be what level to place the students in for instruction. It is also your decision whether to use Level C or Level B books for teaching this behavior. I imagine that you have well written texts at both levels that provide the opportunity for students to notice and use the processing or for you to support it using the most efficient facilitative language. There may be other behaviors in evidence to help guide you in making that decision.

Children do interesting things as they are learning to use print! Continue to be a noticing teacher!
Debbie
0 link