HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Discrepancy between BAS and LLI records Messages in this topic - RSS

Joan Holloway
Joan Holloway

5 days ago
Joan Holloway
Joan Holloway
We have a cohort of Kindergarten students who are receiving intervention with LLI and have reached an independent C level on multiple running records. We have moved them to the green kit and are going through the first 20 lessons. The classroom teachers report that they are recently working at a D level in the classroom which makes sense to me ( and makes me happy). However, they were assessed using the BAS by some of our reading teachers, and are scoring at a B level. That does not make me happy. Can you shed some light on the reason for this?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

5 days ago
Joan Holloway wrote:
We have a cohort of Kindergarten students who are receiving intervention with LLI and have reached an independent C level on multiple running records. We have moved them to the green kit and are going through the first 20 lessons. The classroom teachers report that they are recently working at a D level in the classroom which makes sense to me ( and makes me happy). However, they were assessed using the BAS by some of our reading teachers, and are scoring at a B level. That does not make me happy. Can you shed some light on the reason for this?

Oh, that is a concern. It is always best to analyze all of the records in alignment with the behaviors found in the Literacy Continuum to see why the students are scoring so differently. Use the Guide for Observing and Noting Reading Behaviors as a guide to your thinking to analyze the records from LLI and BAS. I often look closely at the errors marked as using or neglecting V to decide which category of phonics/word study (9 categories under Phonics Continuum) might be involved, to see if there are patterns of behaviors in searching and solving while reading. Note if the errors are because of comprehension scores and if there are patterns there as well. Levels A-B don't have many different goals under thinking beyond and about the text. You can also look at your teaching both in the classroom group and in LLI. Are you being too supportive during the new book introductions so the students are not doing the work independently on the first reading? This could cause them to have difficulty when they have to introduce books to themselves. Are they reading independently in the classroom every day to practice this self selection, introduction and reading? Sometimes it could be related to the book selection. They don't get to choose the Assessment text and it may not be as familiar to them. Look at the Text Analysis in the BAS Assessment Guide along with texts being read in LLI and classroom small group with the Literacy Continuum characteristics to see if any of the 10 characteristics is causing an issue. Those are some suggestions as you try to figure out this puzzle.
Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link