Guided Reading, Second Edition
Much has been written on the topic of guided reading over the last twenty years, but no other leaders in literacy education have championed the topic with such depth and breadth as Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell. In the highly anticipated second edition of Guided Reading, Fountas and Pinnell remind you of guided reading’s critical value within a comprehensive literacy system, and the reflective, responsive teaching required to realize its full potential.
What is it?
Guided Reading is the important new edition of Fountas and Pinnell’s groundbreaking classic. Now with Guided Reading, Second Edition, (re)discover the essential elements of guided reading through an in-depth exploration of responsive teaching. While this essential book includes the “nuts and bolts” of guided reading and its place within a comprehensive literacy system, Fountas and Pinnell shift the focus to an emphasis on responsive teaching—those moment-to-moment decisions that you make as you observe and analyze students’ literacy behaviors. It is the observation and analysis of students’ behaviors that informs your next teaching move. More informative, more inspiring, and more powerful than ever—revitalize your literacy teaching with the new edition of the book that changed the landscape of literacy instruction.
Who is it for?
Guided Reading: Responsive Teaching Across the Grades, Second Edition is for K–6 classroom teachers and literacy leaders seeking to provide daily opportunities for students to engage in the robust, authentic and engaging literacy instruction all students deserve.
What is inside?
Now with Guided Reading, Second Edition, (re)discover the essential elements of guided reading through
- a wider and more comprehensive look at its place within a coherent literacy system
- a refined and deeper understanding of its complexity
- an examination of the steps in implementing it
- the teaching for systems of strategic actions
- a rich text base that can support and extend student learning
- the re-emerging role of shared reading as a way to lead guided and independent reading forward
- the development of managed independent learning across the grades
- an in-depth exploration of responsive teaching
- the role of facilitative language in supporting change over time in students’ processing systems
- the identification of high-priority shifts in learning to focus on at each text level
- the strength of a community of readers across the grades
- the creation of a learning environment within which literacy and language can flourish.
How is it implemented?
Guided Reading, Second Edition is the latest, and critically important, professional book from Fountas and Pinnell that empowers teachers with highly effective instructional procedures to elevate their expertise and help build a community of skillful, informed educators.